About the Bar

FAQ/Membership [+] Show All Answers

  1. Membership,Resources

  2. How long should I keep closed client files?

  3. How can I be sworn in to practice in the higher courts?

    You can contact the clerk of the court that you wish to practice in and they will arrange for you to be sworn in. You must first be admitted in Superior Court before you can be sworn in to the higher courts. Some of the telephone numbers for the higher courts are listed below:

    Supreme Court - 404-656-3470
    Court of Appeals - 404-656-3450
    U.S Court of Appeals - 404-335-6100
    U.S. Northern District - 404-215-1660
    U.S. Middle District - 478-752-3497
    U.S. Southern District - 912-650-4020

    In order to be notified of any mass swearing in ceremonies for the higher courts, email the Young Lawyers Division of the State Bar of Georgia by clicking here.

  4. How do I change my status to active?

    If you have not paid your dues for the year, simply mark your dues notice and pay the active dues amount. If you have already paid inactive dues for the year, mail a check for the difference between inactive and active dues along with a note and your Bar Number to: State Bar of Georgia, PO Box 102054, Atlanta, GA 30368-2054. If you are unsure of the amount to send, email  membership@gabar.org and someone will be happy to assist you.

  5. How do I change my status to inactive?

    If you have already paid active dues, you may send an email to membership@gabar.org and request that your status be changed. Be sure to include your Bar Number and the effective date. If you have not paid your dues, the change can be indicated on the dues notice and you may pay the inactive dues amount shown on the notice.

  6. How do I login to the website?

    State Bar members, if you have created a username and password, please use the one you created. Proceed by clicking here.

    If you have not created an account, your username is your Bar number and your password is your last name with no punctuation or spaces and four digit birth year in all lowercase (i.e., username: 006400, password: smith1978).

  7. How do I order a Membership Certificate that is suitable for framing?

    Any active member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia is eligible to order a personalized membership certificate. Printed on ivory parchment paper, these certificates are stamped with the official seal of the State Bar and signed by the current president. Unframed certificates are $25.

    Framed membership certificates are double-matted in black and gold and enclosed in a gold wood frame. Complete with a hook for easy hanging, they are available for $50.00.

    To order your certificate, please login by clicking here and proceed to the storefront.

  8. How do I order a Photo ID?

    How do I order a Photo ID?

  9. How do Mentors sign up to attend or to view a Mentor Orientation Program?

    Any Superior Court Judge in the State can swear you in. You can make an appointment by contacting the clerk of the court in the county that you choose. A directory of Superior Court Clerks can be found at www.gsccca.org/clerks. If you reside out of state and wish to be sworn in by proxy, contact the Fulton County Superior Court Clerk’s office at 404-613-4217 or email nicholas.cotten@fultoncountyga.gov for additional information. They will require a copy of your original certificate of eligibility and a copy of a state issued ID.

  10. I wish to check my membership status, or check the membership status of an attorney. Who should I speak to?

    Journey Through Justice is four hours long. We ask that students arrive by 9:30 a.m. and stay until approximately 2 p.m. (to allow for bathroom breaks and time spent moving from one room to the next). If you cannot stay for the full four hours, please let us know in advance so that we may plan accordingly. Please keep in mind, however, that parts of the tour will have to be shortened or eliminated if you cannot stay for the full four hours. For groups arriving by bus, the door will open at 9:15 a.m. Groups traveling by other means may enter the building before 9:15 a.m. but should not expect the Law-Related Education staff to be available before that time.

  11. I've graduated from law school, taken the Bar Exam and am working in a law office. Can I call myself a lawyer?

    You will owe CLE for the year you activate in as well as any hours that you owed CLE from prior years when you deactivated. These hours would need to be completed by March of the following year.

    You will owe CLE for the current year even if you are only active for one day, week, etc. during the year. Be sure to consider this when you are activating at the end of a year.

  12. If I have already paid active dues for the year, would a portion of my dues be refunded if I become inactive?

    Do not unload the bus in front of the building. Your bus driver should continue past our building to the traffic light at Fairlie Street. Turn right on Fairlie Street, and then take the first right-hand turn into the alley behind our building. Look on the right-hand side of the alley for the sign which says "Unloading/Loading Here for Journey Through Justice." Once the students have exited the bus, the bus should park on the right-hand side of the alley, between the base of the stairs and Loading Bay #3. The bus should remain there until the end of the tour, as we reload students there rather than on the street to avoid blocking traffic in the afternoon.

    In the event of rain or other inclement weather, students should exit the bus into Loading Bay #3 itself, where we will be waiting, so that they can stay as dry as possible. The bus should follow the parking directions above.

  13. If a student was inducted last year, is he or she required to submit an official transcript again this year?

  14. Mandatory Continuing Legal Education,Membership

    Up to two years of CLE hours (24 credit hours) taken while inactive can be carried over and applied when you reactivate.

  15. What are the benefits of being inactive?

    As an inactive member, you are not required to complete CLE hours and your dues are lower. However, inactive status requires that you do not practice law in Georgia. A possible disadvantage is the fact that if you plan to use your Georgia license to be admitted by reciprocity to another jurisdiction, the other jurisdiction often requires that you have been active 5 of the last 7 years.

  16. Yes