Rule 1-302. Composition
Organization of the State Bar & Admissions / Part I - Creation & Organization / CHAPTER 3 BOARD OF GOVERNORS / Rule 1-302. Composition
- The Board of Governors shall be composed of the following:
- The President, the President-elect, the Immediate Past President, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the President of the Young Lawyers Division, the President-elect of the Young Lawyers Division, the Immediate Past President of the Young Lawyers Division and the Attorney General of Georgia;
- the number of Board of Governors members for each Judicial Circuit as existed on January 1, 2001, plus an additional 7 Board of Governor members to be elected from the Atlanta Circuit.
- Each Judicial Circuit shall have an additional member for each additional five hundred active members of the State Bar added to that circuit after January 1, 2001. The size of the Board of Governors, excluding those designated in subsection (a)(1) above, shall not exceed 150, except as set out in subsection (b) below.
- If the geographical limits of a judicial circuit are changed, and by reason of said change there is a reduction in the number of Superior Court judges to which that circuit was entitled on July 1, 1979, then and in that event, there shall be a corresponding reduction in the number of members of the Board of Governors representing that circuit provided there was more than one Board member representing that circuit. In the event that there is such a reduction, the last created post will be the first post eliminated.
- If the change in the geographical limits of a judicial circuit does not result in a reduction in the number of Superior Court judges in such circuit, then such circuit shall retain at least as many members of the Board of Governors as it had on July 1, 1979. Additional Board representation will be determined by the number of active members of the State Bar residing in that circuit as provided above. A change in the name of a judicial circuit shall have no effect upon that circuit's Board of Governors' representatives, except as otherwise provided.
- two representatives of the active members of the State Bar of Georgia residing outside of the State of Georgia, who themselves must be residents of different states of the United States. The nonresident representative shall be an active member of the State Bar of Georgia in good standing residing outside of the State of Georgia.
- three members appointed as follows: The President-elect in office when this rule becomes effective shall appoint three members to the Board of Governors. Thereafter, the President-elect shall appoint the number of such members whose term expired at the annual meeting at which the President-elect assumed office. The appointed members shall be chosen in such a manner as to promote diversity within the Board of Governors.
- Upon the creation of a new circuit, such circuit shall be entitled to elect one member to the Board of Governors even if the cap of 150 Board of Governors members has been reached, and if the cap has not been reached, may be entitled to elect additional members depending on the number of active members of the State of Georgia residing in the circuit as provided above.
- A member of the Board of Governors must be an active member of the State Bar of Georgia in good standing. A member representing a judicial circuit shall be a member of the bar of that circuit.
- Members of the Board of Governors shall receive no compensation for their services.
GO TO Rule 1-301. Government by the Board of Governors GO TO Rule 1-303. Meetings Return to handbook browser.